What we heard about the Craigieburn Road Upgrade
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on the proposed design of the Craigieburn Road Upgrade. Your feedback has helped shape the final design scope of the road upgrade. The latest community update is now available.
In December 2018, we shared our proposed design of the Craigieburn Road Upgrade and received over 400 pieces of feedback from the community in the area. We then provided this feedback to the project team who used it to refine the proposed design.
During consultation, we heard the following themes are important to the community:
- traffic congestion
- local access
- pedestrian and cycling connections,
- and the environment
Feedback we received during consultation has been used to update the proposed design of the Craigieburn Road Upgrade. We’ll now:
- add direct access from Clovelly Drive and Chinnock Court onto Craigieburn Road
- build more bus priority treatments at intersections where land is available
- install traffic lights at Dorchester Street to improve access to Craigieburn Sporting Club and facilities
- Install pedestrian operated traffic lights at Craigieburn Sports Stadium
- keep the pedestrian operated traffic light at Benston Street
- build full-length walking and cycling paths on both sides of Craigieburn Road
- install traffic lights at the Balyang Way T-intersection.
The Craigieburn Road Upgrade is part of the Northern Roads Upgrade, which will upgrade six key roads in the north. The Northern Roads Upgrade will be delivered as Public Private Partnership (PPP). This means we’ll engage a contractor through a competitive process to deliver the design and construction of the road upgrades.
We released a request for proposal (RFP) on 25 March 2019 to deliver 12 projects as part of the South Eastern and Northern Roads Upgrades. Construction will start from 2020.